Sunday 24 August 2014

Tarzan (the Disney one)

So here’s a question for you.  Suppose you fell in love, would you leave England to live on an island with apes?
I love Disney films, pretty much.  However I’m finding it hard to review one.  The reason is that they are trying to be something very different to the average film that I might watch.  The basic idea of the modern animated children’s movie is to make a marketable film that kids will love and that their parents etc will enjoy.  I’ve got a lot of time for that.  The adults aren’t the target audience but the makers work hard to keep them entertained.  The cynical side of me says that a parent that enjoyed the in-jokes and pop culture references in the movie, is less likely to be opposed to the merchandise machine.  The uncynical side says it’s Disney’s way of being kind to the adults who are bored of the nonsense that is modern children’s telly.
Anywho, Tarzan.  I enjoyed it.  I really did.  I can’t say much in detail as i isn’t a film like that.  I think to try to analyse too much would almost rob a children’s film of it’s magic.  So I won’t.
On the upsides, I think the main characters of Tarzan, Jane, the big gorilla (Korchac i think?) and Tarzan’s mum gorilla were all brilliant.  I loved them all.  On the downsides, I think the rest of the characters didn’t really add all that much and, unlike other kids films where the side characters have big roles in the entertainment factor or story, in this one I felt they were just there to fill the screen.
The bad guy, Clayton, was voiced by Brian Blessed.  Need I say more.  I could happily watch wet paint dry for a month if that paint was voiced by Brian Blessed.
I really enjoyed it though on reflection, it didn’t feel quite so involved as other Disney or Dreamworks films I’ve watched and so I will give it 70/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment